Hales Passage Scandinavian Lutheran Cemetery Association
Annual Meeting Minutes May 18, 2019
Sears Farm across from Cemetery
Call to Order
Read and Approval of Minutes to previous Membership and Board Meetings
Treasurers Report & Plots Sales (from 2019 Board Meeting Minutes)
Expenses $2618.52 (includes $1256.50 for 10 stones for unmarked graves)
Donations - $1110.00
Sale of 5 Plots $2000.00
Interment Fees (7) $350.00
Checking Balance $17,132.83
CD Balance $13,278.22 (includes interest of $1.96)
Acknowledging those who passed away during the year:
Richard Melvin Brynestad 204F cr Veteran
9 Nov 1928, Tacoma, WA 6 June 2018, Gig Harbor
Leroy Elmer Fosness 104 F cr Veteran
27 March 1941 Seattle 6 April 2018, Camano Island, WA
Betty Lou Hamilton 2418 cr
8 Nov 1926 St Paul, Minn 4 July 2015 Tacoma, WA
Eugene Oliver Pearson 129 C Veteran
27 February 1927, Gig Harbor 21 August 2018, Gig Harbor
Sandra Lee Crespinel 179 cr
7/31/1947 Hollywood, CA 2/11/2019 Seattle, WA
• On Saturday, June 30 Laurie Dahl Isacson, Ben Pearson, Doug & Eric Holsinger and Dave Rogers installed markers on 10 previously unmarked graves. The stones were 12' x 12' x 4. Markers were for: Infant Robert Bridges, David Squally, Iva M Miller, Raymond Jones, Baby Squally, A Stahlwick, Johana Larsen Konikson, Anders Johan Peterson, Lidia Hamalch Skinshirt, Gig Harbor Skinshirt.
• The faulty faucet has been repaired by John Gagnon.
• Several trees were removed to the North side of the cemetery which were becoming crowded. Thank you to Glen Rodgers who over saw the falling and to Doug Holsinger, John Gagnon and Ben Pearson who did the limbing and cutting the trees into rounds. The wood was offered to the Cromwell email list and all was taken within 3 days. Williams Tree Service chipped and removed all the debris. The site looks splendid!
• Laurie will coordinate 'Round 2' of installing markers for unmarked graves this summer. A sign-up sheet was pass for volunteers. Date yet to be determined.
• Definition of 'green burial' & Cromwell Policies
A green (natural) burial emphasizes simplicity and environmental sustainability. The body is neither cremated nor prepared with chemicals such as embalming fluids. It is simply placed in a biodegradable coffin or shroud and interred without a concrete burial vault.
Cromwell Cemetery has never required a concrete vault. The board clarified that a coffin must be used, but it could be a simple pine box. All cremains must be buried in an urn. This clarification has been added to the Cemetery Policies
It was noted that if a casket burial is done by Haven of Rest, it is their policy to install a plastic liner.
• Election of Officers President, Vice President, Secretary & Treasurer
After no one wished to partake as an officer, the current officers agreed to serve another term. It was moved and seconded to retain the current slate of officers for another year:
President Ben Pearson
Vice President Joyce Sears
Treasurer Donna Doherty
Secretary Laurie Dahl Isacson
• Election of Trustee It was moved and seconded to re appoint Nate Sears for a 3- year term. Current trustees are:
Doug Holsinger 2017 - 2020
John Gagnon 2018 - 2021
Nate Sears 2019 2022
• Thanks for the Sears Family for their hospitality and use of the garage.
• Thanks to all who have cleaned, mowed and repaired items at the cemetery throughout the year.
Meeting was adjourned at 1:15
Laurie Dahl Isacson, Secretary
Back to the Cromwell Cemetery Assn page